Sunday, April 20, 2014

Intriguing unsolved mystery of early Colonists


Jo Grafford
Thank you for hosting me today on Adventures in Authorland – just LOVE the name of your blog, Jean.
 
Thank you Jo, and welcome to Adventures in Authorland. Please get comfortable and tell us about your adventure.

Do you see writing as a career? Yes. Writing is a gift. It defines who I am, it’s what I spend most of my time doing, and it’s what makes me happy.

How many books have you written? Two so far but my goal is a total of four in 2014: BREAKING TIES (published last October by Astraea Press) and Trail of Crosses (under contract - coming soon!)

Can you give us some details about your upcoming release? Love to! Both books are part of the Lost Colony Series, which is based on the Lost Colonists of Roanoke Island – one of the world’s most intriguing unsolved mysteries to date. BREAKING TIES reveals who wanted the Lost Colonists to disappear and why. Trail of Crosses reveals what happened next…after the last person to see them alive returned to England.

Do you belong to any non-writing organizations? Yes. I’m an Army wife and serve as co-leader of a Family Readiness Group for soldiers and their families. We hold monthly social events for our members and fundraise to send care packages to deployed soldiers and provide welcome baskets to new families joining our unit.

Who are some of your favourite authors? I read every book I can get my hands on from these authors: Nora Roberts, J.D. Robb, John Grisham, James Patterson, Catherine Coulter, Brenda Novak, Stephenie Meyer, Steven Pressfield… How much time do you have? I have an extremely long list of favorites! My third story library is wall to wall with books.

When you are not writing, what are your hobbies, passions, etc? I run several days a week, play the piano, and serve as a literacy volunteer for elementary school students.

BLURB – BREAKING TIES, first book in the Lost Colony Series:

An intelligent woman ahead of her time, ROSE PAYNE'S world is shattered after a secret betrothal to the duke’s son costs her job as a clerk in his father's household. Without a letter of recommendation, Rose becomes an easy target for recruiters to the Colonies. Desperate for work, she signs up for a risky overseas venture and sails for the New World, vowing never again fall for a wealthy gentleman.

Returning from a diplomatic tour in London, CHIEF MANTEO is bewitched by the elusive, fiery-haired ship clerk and determined to overcome her distrust. He contrives a daring plan to win her heart – a plan he prays will protect her from a chilling conspiracy involving murder, blood money, and a betrayal of their fledgling colony so terrifying it can only be revealed in BREAKING TIES.

SPECIAL NOTE:
Based on real people and real events, BREAKING TIES is the "rest of the story" of the Lost Colonists from Roanoke Island.

EXCERPT – BREAKING TIES:

    “Someone might walk in,” I hissed. “What are ye doing?”
     “Distracting you from the pain. Is it working?”
     I chuckled breathlessly. “What pain?” I glanced through the doorway, but the beach was almost vacant of colonists now. We hadn’t much time left before the ships raised anchor.
    “Rose.”
    “Mmm?”
    “I’m glad you refused to heed your brother’s warnings.”
    “Even though I brought with me such an ill run of luck?”
    “I am not complaining.” His voice was low against my neck. 
    I drew a shaky breath. “Are not ye afraid?”
    “Nay.” He reached around and laced his fingers through mine. Our scars from the blood oath rested palm to palm.
    My heartbeat quickened. “I must look like a rag doll.”
    “Your attire offends me no more than usual.”
    “Oh?”
    “English women hide beneath too many layers.”
    I choked out a laugh. “I saw the governor’s watercolors. Do your people truly wear so little?”
    “Aye.”
    “Including the ladies?” 
    “Aye.” His voice was earnest. “Thank the gods.” 
    I flushed scarlet. “I-I could not!” I twisted to look at him. “’Tis scandalous by any English standard.” 
    He tugged me back against him. “Then I pray you change your mind.” 
    My chest rose and fell rapidly. We were surrounded by danger and his thoughts were centered on seeing me naked, or nearly naked, I corrected.
    He trailed the back of his hand down my cheek.
    Tendrils of apprehension squeezed my heart. Manteo desired me, but he spoke not of love. I’d walked this path before.
    The stinging of my feet intensified. I sat up, needing space. He grunted in protest but loosened his arms. 
    “Agnes will be here any moment.”
    He moved quickly. My heartbeat quickened to see him crouched before me, whiskey eyes dark with emotion. He lifted my hand and pressed the scarred palm to his heart. The wound tingled from the heat of him.
    “There is one English custom I like very much.” He bent his head over mine until his breath stirred my lips. I stopped breathing. He took my upper lip between his in a caress as light as a bird’s feather.
    A breathy sigh escaped me. ’Twas several moments before I gathered the strength to open my eyes. He was gone.


BIO:
Jo is a mega reader of all genres and loves to indulge in marathon showings of Big Bang Theory, CSI, NCIS, and Castle. Her favorite books are full of rich history, Native Americans, and an occasional creature from the otherworld – dragons, vampires, and time travelers.
From St. Louis, Missouri, Jo moves a lot with her soldier husband. She has lived in the Midwest, the deep South, and now resides in Bavaria. Jo holds an M.B.A. and has served as a banker, college finance instructor, and high school business teacher. She is a member of Romance Writers of America and From the Heart Romance Writers RWA Chapter. 
Jo writes historical and paranormal romance. She is currently writing a series published by Astraea Press, which is based on the Lost Colonists of Roanoke Island – one of the world’s most intriguing unsolved mysteries.

CONTACT INFO:
Twitter: @jografford

BOOK TRAILER:
YouTube Book Trailer: http://youtu.be/nBB8_qcG-9I

BUY LINKS:
Amazon ASIN: B00FYIYM7A
Barnes and Noble: 
Astraea Press: http://astraeapress.com/#!/~/product/category=662245&id=28863116

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for hosting me today, Jean! I'm excited to be visiting Adventures in Authorland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Jean and Jo! I enjoyed the interview...a great treat while drinking my tea. Looking forward, Jo, to your next release!

    ReplyDelete