Saturday, June 29, 2013

Fantasy, YA, Sci-Fi, Paranormal--all in a Dey's work

Hello A.H and welcome to Adventures in Authorland. Please get comfortable and tell us a little about your adventure.

Do you see writing as a career?

Yes. Especially after gaining 20+ pounds revising my latest book. I mean if I’m going to wedge myself into a computer chair and gain stress fat without restraint--it’s gotta be some kind of career, right? LOL. But seriously. I do see it as a business and career. At this point, I don’t think I would trade it for the world.

In which genres do you prefer to write and why?

I really enjoy Fantasy. But I also get a kick out of writing Sci-Fi and Paranormal. Currently I divide these up between two alter egos: Kara Ashley Dey writes Sci Fi and Paranormal; A. H. De Carrasco writes YA and Fantasy. (BTW, it’s AH’s fault we’ve all gained so much weight. She doesn’t know when to stop revising and eating mini Rollo’s. Her second ToD book is a week late. *rolls eyes*.)

Can you give us some details about your upcoming release/s?

My upcoming release under A. H. De Carrasco is the second book in a Fantasy series called TELLER OF DESTINY, BOOK TWO: PRINCES AND FOOLS. I especially enjoyed working on this part of the series because it introduces some very important characters that influence my heroine Raphere, throughout the series, for better or worse (mostly for worse, lol).

The series is part coming of age, part good versus evil, part romance, part mystery. I had forgotten how hot this book was before I started my final edits. But Princes and Fools is first and foremost a fantasy. Lots of characters’ points-of-view. Lots of intrigue. I’ve had to push it back to a July 1st release because I want it perfect. The story deserves it. The first book, From Continue, is available right now for 99 cents, as a build up for the new release.

When you are not writing, what are your hobbies, passions, etc?

I love to crochet and make jewellery. Doing promos with jewellery is an added bonus. I love it! I spent several years doing computer animation work as a compositor so I find designing concept art for my books is pretty relaxing and fun, too. To keep my cg chops, I’ve added an interactive trivia section with visual rewards on my tellerofdestiny.com website. I also love to play video games but haven’t had much time lately.

As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up? Writing, or something else?

I would bounce between wanting to write, act, sing, draw and be an astronomer. Oh, and a nun. I’ve been able to experience all those lives, except for the last two. But I still love to watch the stars at night.

What place inspires you the most?
Bolivia. I’m a landscape writer. I need to paint the scene when I can. Bolivia has every imaginable terrain. Jungles. Mountain tops. Grasslands. Rivers. Except for the ocean--You name it. If I ever got the chance to film Teller of Destiny, I would have the majority of the pre-visual effects filming completed there.

Do you have any advice for new writers beginning their adventure?

DO NOT keep chocolate anywhere near your computer. Also, don’t make silly rules you know you’ll break. Avoid setting yourself up for hardship--that’s just a mind game. Keep the process a discovery, as effortless as possible, and bring you’re A-game because you have a long way to go from where you are: it will be an amazing ride.

Be active with your writing. Bring it with you. Take your notebook, iPad, camera, audio recorder--everything--with you. We are living in a mobile world. We create on our feet. It’s awesome! Go for it, and good luck.

Blurb for the Teller of Destiny Series, BOOK TWO: PRINCES AND FOOLS

     Two mortals hang in the balance, two princes destined to be kings, one who covets the crown, the other who left his birthright behind after a family tragedy for which he is to blame. Both are irresistibly drawn to the Pikestan girl, Raphere, whose fierce heart imprisons them as they lay claim to her. Whether incited by love or power, the princes may find their reward at the sharp end of a sword.
     Ever since spilling her blood before the Teller of Destiny, Raphere has spent her life trying to prove she is not like her mother, a dark sorceress. And though she yearns to be, she is not a white wanderer either. She is the Jivasivar, the first grey soul born into the land since sin and the Changing. Some call her savior; others, assassin. One thing is clear: everyone has a plan for Raphere. Few seem to care about what is best for her--only what she might gain or cost them.
     To the visitors in the Pikestan, she is a target for their cruelty. To the voices of the weald, she is a precious angel and a last chance at life. To the Dark Lord Verisa, she is a spoiled girl and an unwanted burden. To the mercenary Rant Pae, she is a comely maiden and a promised bounty. To the Highland witch Rumara, she is a puzzle to decipher from afar. To the Teller of Destiny, which revealed the grey of Raphere's soul, she is the Great All's long awaited Sword and Shield. Amidst such judgment, can a young woman with young girl's dreams choose her own path correctly?
     Searching for her purpose Raphere trusts in the white wanderer Tranquia and hopes to attain the Jivan Tome--the Divine Poem which promised Raphere's emergence, centuries ago. She must discern friend from foe as all strive to manipulate her for their own designs. Does she have the conviction to be the Jivasivar or is she merely a pawn in a fight for the survival of both ancients and kings? With the Jivan Tome out of reach, and her destiny as clouded as her grey blood, will she bend to the manipulations of others and take a path that leads to the destruction of all?

readers age 15+

The Teller of Destiny Series:
Read the books. Play trivia. Unlock extras.
At tellerofdestiny.com


I'm a writer who likes fantasy, speculative and paranormal fiction with romantic elements. I enjoy interviewing multi-talented artists and writers to find out what 'makes them tick.' Sharing experiences is a really great way to learn about the world and ourselves. Plus, I'm a firm believer in rejoicing in other people's successes; it's free and it feels great.
Living in Houston with my darling husband has taught me about the blessings of great neighbors and Texas BBQ. My favorite critics are my two plump cats that purr their pleasure at most everything I write.

To keep in touch:
Twitter: @AHDeCarrasco @KaraAshleyDey
Facebook: fb.com/AHDeCarrasco  fb.com/kara.ashley.dey
websites:
http://tellerofdestiny.com
http://deyforlove.com (Romance Reviews and News)
http://karaashleydey.com (Spell Caster interviews of multi-talented artists)
latest books:
Stealing Sky: amazon.com/Stealing-Sky-ebook/dp/B00ARQSJLY
Prince and Fools: Coming Soon!

7 comments:

  1. Interesting interview Kara and Jean.
    It's always interesting to see how other authors approach their work. Great advice on taking your camera, iPad etc with you where ever you go. It never ceases to amaze me where inspiration will strike or what will trigger a brilliant idea. Unless you are ready these moments of pure serendipity can be lost forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Shirley. These days the most awesome thing is that a smartphone is an all-in-one!

    Thanks fro having me on AinA, Jean! :)

    --Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always enjoy learning something new about one of my favorite writer people! Thanks for the inside peek :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what an awesome blurb! I read From Continue and it's excellent. I'm looking forward to the next installment. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jodi! That means a lot to me! Taking your classes really helped me make the story shine. Your words of advise added to the first chapters, too!
      --Ann

      Delete